4ROCs Offroad

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
*NEWS FLASH*  ::  New info about the Christmas Party has been added. Please RSVP ASAP!
*NEWS FLASH*  :: Not long now.

4 posters

The Future of Modifications

beaujest
    beaujest
    Rock Crawler
    Rock Crawler

Number of posts : 1053
    ROC Rep : 4
    ROCs : 1008
    Registration date : 2009-02-21

The Future of Modifications Empty The Future of Modifications

Post  beaujest 2009-09-05, 11:03

Thought I would start this thread and get some discussion without clogging any other threads.

Just looking at the tube bars and thinking about the VSI50 and related discussion including previous discussion regarding bullbars and pedestrians.

I can see a day when all mods will have to engineered and need to meet ADR before it can be entered on the market. That would mean for bullbars etc the custom bars and home made bars would be a thing of the past.
    beaujest
    beaujest
    Rock Crawler
    Rock Crawler

The Future of Modifications Empty Re: The Future of Modifications

Post  beaujest 2009-09-05, 11:03

Deadly GU wrote:
    celt's wrote:

Once again, Bop has preform some magic. looks good Matt
    Some of it looks abit similar to the one I did for Steve...

The Future of Modifications 048f

The Future of Modifications Img2715

Let me say from the start by posting this I am not attacking, having a go at anyone or anything similar and def do not intend to start any heated debates or intend to hijack this thread in anyway. I just merely wish to make a comment.

Both bars are well made and and both makers have an obvious talent for their work. My concerns or thoughts also mainly apply to NSW and the recent VSI50 and its broader implecations regarding vehicle safety, which here includes bullbars, but could easliy become a National safety issue.

Like I said I am not having a go at Deadly GU or Bop and they might be able to clarify BUT I dismally look to the pessimistic future and can see that any vehilce aftermarket modification, including bullbars will need to be engineered, including whatever crash testing and more importantly the crash testing involving pedestrians that should not be on the raodway to start with, before being allowed or approved to be fitted to vehicles. This would have the potential to make a number of small operators go out of business.

If something like this wa to come out of the talks involving the VSI50 I can not see the likes of the big guys, ARB, tjm etc opposing it as this would only help their own business by having aftermarket products, such as bar work engineered.

Just my thoughts.
    Mal
    Mal
    Hill Climber
    Hill Climber

Number of posts : 162
    ROC Rep : 3
    ROCs : 141

Post  Mal 2009-09-07, 04:44

I think you're pretty much spot on Al.

I'm surprised bullbars aren't more heavily scrutinised as design can have massive ramifications on crash performance. Good looking tube bars though guys.

I think the day will come where nearly all mods become very difficult to road going cars. Only exceptions to this will be older trucks that pre-date various ADRs. Probably end up with the same situation as the US with parts marked "off highway use only", putting it back on the vehicle owner should they choose to run the part on the road.

So we end up with more illegal trucks, or a return to the milder days when small tyres and basic trucks were all there was. Or a mild truck for touring and trailered rigs that are unregistered and don't see the road. Difficult to fathom at this point, but I think when you have thousands of people building or with unregisterable trucks the park and insurance options will broaden.
    eMOJO
    eMOJO
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 2274
    ROC Rep : 11
    ROCs : 2014
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post  eMOJO 2009-09-07, 04:59

Currently all barwork either commercial or custom needs to meet the requirements of the ADR's but there is no requirement to have it certified (as far as I know) so I imagine this will be the first step in tightening up what you can and can't have. When I had my BL inspected by DOT they had a good look at the front bar with their only comment being "nice barwork mate", so I can see such inspections/certification being private engineer certified and not by the governing body ie DOT or RTA which will amount to $$$.

Then who will police it?

Post  Guest 2009-09-07, 05:07

Your dead right E they need to adhere to ADRs now but as you have said there is no one to police it. Personally I feel we will see an end to road going modded trucks and more of an emphasis on trailered rigs wether they be rec rego or no rego will depend on what the Government does I guess.
    eMOJO
    eMOJO
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  eMOJO 2009-09-07, 05:31

It will be interesting times ahead for sure especially for the likes of Brook and Buddy who are looking to build a business for custom offroad products thinking

Post  Guest 2009-09-07, 05:35

eMOJO wrote:It will be interesting times ahead for sure especially for the likes of Brook and Buddy who are looking to build a business for custom offroad products thinking

Hopefully more trailer rigs and buggy style builds would see them with even more work thinking
    I know which way I would like to see it go but then I am lucky and have the best of both worlds, legal tourer and trailer rig. yep
    eMOJO
    eMOJO
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  eMOJO 2009-09-07, 05:45

True that... If it will be anything like VSI50 when/if compliance changes then there will be a flood of ppl getting their trucks sorted. I think once my rear bar is done I might look into it a bit further and see what would be required to get all the barwork certified by either DOT or an engineer.

Post  Guest 2009-09-07, 06:08

eMOJO wrote:True that... If it will be anything like VSI50 when/if compliance changes then there will be a flood of ppl getting their trucks sorted. I think once my rear bar is done I might look into it a bit further and see what would be required to get all the barwork certified by either DOT or an engineer.

The biggest hurdle is the testing you would need to crash test the bar among other things which is pretty much cost prohibitive for a small business and in your case pointless as once crash tested you would need a new one Doh!
    eMOJO
    eMOJO
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  eMOJO 2009-09-07, 06:11

Maybe I could get a crash test dummy and just run over him for fun thinking
    beaujest
    beaujest
    Rock Crawler
    Rock Crawler

Post  beaujest 2009-09-07, 06:19

That is why the bigger aftermarket compaines, such as ARB, will continue to be in the fore front of the 4x4 aftermarket world with research and development. Unless the likes of Sanke or Superior want to spend the money for all the engineering and testing it may be the end of tube bars being legal on road registered vehicles if and when the full force of the likes of VSI50 and other laws come in.
    beaujest
    beaujest
    Rock Crawler
    Rock Crawler

Post  beaujest 2009-09-07, 06:29

Further to new laws and vehicle modifications, 4X4 Australia Issue 308

ESC Vehicles and the Law

Electronic Stability Control is mandated on all passenger vehicles sold in Australia from 2011.

Because ESC programmming relies on parameters such as engine and transmission performance, tyre specifications, steering systems, suspension type and performance characteristics, mass of the vehicle and weight distribution, it has been recommended by Australia's transport law makers that ESC vehicles may not be modified in any of these areas.

The nes edition of Vehicle Standards Bulletin 14, covering modifications to cars and 4x4s, has a critical clause (2.6) which states: "therefore unless specifically permitted by the vehcile manufacturer, vehicles equipped with ESC as orginal equipment can not be modified under the Modification Codes contained in this Section of the National Copde of Practice, as the current codes do not posses sufficient scope to account for all the parameters noted above. Similarly, vehicles equipped with ESC must not have the ESC control unit disconnected or modified."

The AAAA is currently taking up this issue, which could effect common vehicle changes, such as new suspension or wheel and tyre replacement.

Post  Guest 2009-09-07, 06:54

beaujest wrote:Further to new laws and vehicle modifications, 4X4 Australia Issue 308

ESC Vehicles and the Law

Electronic Stability Control is mandated on all passenger vehicles sold in Australia from 2011.

Because ESC programmming relies on parameters such as engine and transmission performance, tyre specifications, steering systems, suspension type and performance characteristics, mass of the vehicle and weight distribution, it has been recommended by Australia's transport law makers that ESC vehicles may not be modified in any of these areas.

The nes edition of Vehicle Standards Bulletin 14, covering modifications to cars and 4x4s, has a critical clause (2.6) which states: "therefore unless specifically permitted by the vehcile manufacturer, vehicles equipped with ESC as orginal equipment can not be modified under the Modification Codes contained in this Section of the National Copde of Practice, as the current codes do not posses sufficient scope to account for all the parameters noted above. Similarly, vehicles equipped with ESC must not have the ESC control unit disconnected or modified."

The AAAA is currently taking up this issue, which could effect common vehicle changes, such as new suspension or wheel and tyre replacement.

Ahh the future is bleak for all modifiers it would seem. Looks like I will be keeping my older 4wds for a while yet.
    Luxster
    Luxster
    Locker Loaded
    Locker Loaded

Number of posts : 705
    ROCs : 504
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post  Luxster 2009-09-07, 06:58

But most 4x4 are classed as commercial vehicles, not passenger vehicles, are they not Dr Evil?
    beaujest
    beaujest
    Rock Crawler
    Rock Crawler

Post  beaujest 2009-09-07, 07:06

We just have to be careful what vehicle we get. As long as Toyota keep making the bread butter plain 70 Series without ESC we will continue to have our vehicles.

Post  Guest 2009-09-07, 07:31

beaujest wrote:We just have to be careful what vehicle we get. As long as Toyota keep making the bread butter plain 70 Series without ESC we will continue to have our vehicles.

That wont last once it comes out on other vehicles the Mines will demand it just like they did with dual airbags. Unfortunately the 70 series will only ever be as plain as the mining and commercial sector want it Doh!
    beaujest
    beaujest
    Rock Crawler
    Rock Crawler

Post  beaujest 2009-09-07, 18:57

It has been Toyotas plan all the way along to release the 70 Sereies with Airbags and ABS. They were supposed to come out with the TDV8 but was held up. Unfortunately it wont be long and the 70 Series will have ABS.

I think though while ever they want to make a commercial barebones four wheel drive the 70 Series will be around for a while with optional diff locks and no ESC, unlike the 200 Series.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-05-19, 09:57