4ROCs Offroad

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
*NEWS FLASH*  ::  New info about the Christmas Party has been added. Please RSVP ASAP!
*NEWS FLASH*  :: Not long now.

5 posters

Kroombit Tops

dieselpower
    dieselpower
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 998
    ROC Rep : 5
    ROCs : 1061
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Kroombit Tops Empty Kroombit Tops

Post  dieselpower 2009-10-05, 04:07

Anybody here ever been through Kroombit Tops? Looking at going there on my way up to Gladstone when I get my sliders. I know you can get there from the Monto side, but I want to know specifically if you can drive from Monto to Calliope via Kroombit Tops, as I want to go straight through rather than doing a big loop and still having to drive a few more hours to get to Gladstone.
    Stampy
    Stampy
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 2035
    ROC Rep : 10
    ROCs : 2027
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Kroombit Tops Empty Re: Kroombit Tops

Post  Stampy 2009-10-05, 04:30

It's on my list of places to visit Tom.

I made some notes from a discussion on ExploreOz a while back and I've just had a look at some maps to try and refresh my memory.

From Monto you can head north-west on the road to Monford which I think becomes the Cania Dam Road.
    You turn left at the right spot and this will lead you through Dawes Range. These are minor roads and if you are on on the right one I'm pretty sure you can drive straight through the centre of Kroombit Top NP and come out the northern side at and area called The Tableland. There's a right hand turn onto Tableland Road which then takes you through the fringe of Dan Dan State Forest and straight into Calliope then Gladstone.
    Luxxxy
    Luxxxy
    Rock Crawler
    Rock Crawler

Number of posts : 1852
    ROC Rep : 2
    ROCs : 1784

Post  Luxxxy 2009-10-05, 04:34

I can't see why you couldnt Tom

have a look here
    https://www.epa.qld.gov.au/register/p02203aa.pdf
    dieselpower
    dieselpower
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  dieselpower 2009-10-05, 04:53

Thanks guys. I know you can do a loop from the Cania Gorge tourist park but didn't know about going right through. I've found a mud map on a Gladstone Region website that indicates basically what Paul just said. At the point I made this post I had found roads to either end but nothing there actually crossing the park.

That map that you linked to Skye is exactly what I was hoping to find - yes it's possible. Now I just need to know how long it takes, including the loop to Beautiful Betsy!
    squeeker
    squeeker
    Locker Loaded
    Locker Loaded

Number of posts : 611
    ROC Rep : 0
    ROCs : 601

Post  squeeker 2009-10-05, 04:55

the folks get back from their trip on the weekend- they passed through there a couple of years ago and they might know... don't know if that's too late. i think they loved it there from memory.
    dieselpower
    dieselpower
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  dieselpower 2009-10-05, 05:03

Not going for 3 weeks yet Tony, let me know what they say!
    Deadly GU
    Deadly GU
    Locker Loaded
    Locker Loaded

Number of posts : 650
    ROCs : 670
    Registration date : 2009-05-28

Post  Deadly GU 2009-10-05, 05:20

dieselpower wrote:Anybody here ever been through Kroombit Tops? Looking at going there on my way up to Gladstone when I get my sliders. I know you can get there from the Monto side, but I want to know specifically if you can drive from Monto to Calliope via Kroombit Tops, as I want to go straight through rather than doing a big loop and still having to drive a few more hours to get to Gladstone.
    Yeah Tom, you can do that. There are a couple of tracks you can take to do that. I did it from the Cania Gorge area, which is only about 10 or so min from Monto. You can get detailed maps of the area from places where you buy maps. I think the 1 you want is the Monto area.
    dieselpower
    dieselpower
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  dieselpower 2009-10-05, 05:24

Cheers Dave. What's the timing like from Cania Gorge through to Calliope, including the loop to the plane crash? Trying to work out what time to leave so that I can get to camp and get setup at Tannum Sands before I head to your place.
    Deadly GU
    Deadly GU
    Locker Loaded
    Locker Loaded

Number of posts : 650
    ROCs : 670
    Registration date : 2009-05-28

Post  Deadly GU 2009-10-05, 05:29

dieselpower wrote:Cheers Dave. What's the timing like from Cania Gorge through to Calliope, including the loop to the plane crash? Trying to work out what time to leave so that I can get to camp and get setup at Tannum Sands before I head to your place.
    If you give yourself the best part of a day, you shouldn't have any drama's time wise.
    dieselpower
    dieselpower
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  dieselpower 2009-10-05, 05:44

Just phoned to book the accommodation (Cania Gorge Tourist Park, wonderful people and seems like a wonderful place!) and they answered the question. Takes about 3 hrs to the plane, and another 2.5hrs from there on to Calliope. Probably doesn't include much in the way of difficult 4wding but that's fine, just want to see the plane wreck and the lookout.
    Stampy
    Stampy
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 2035
    ROC Rep : 10
    ROCs : 2027
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post  Stampy 2009-10-05, 05:50

I know there's a road straight to it but here's the co-ords for the bomber site anyway ok S24°27.889' E150°54.832'

GeoScience Australia do a 1:250k topo map with roads etc for about $10 (SG5601 Monto) that covers 150kms east-west and 110 kms north south around Kroombit Tops.

Theres also a 1:25K Kroombit Topo through Sunmap (#SUTKRO01).
    dieselpower
    dieselpower
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  dieselpower 2009-10-05, 06:03

Cheers Paul. I'll pick up a couple of maps (if I don't have them already, dont remember will have to look) before I go. Will scan them in to OziExplorer on the GPS ok

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-05-19, 11:13