4ROCs Offroad

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
*NEWS FLASH*  ::  New info about the Christmas Party has been added. Please RSVP ASAP!
*NEWS FLASH*  :: Not long now.

+7
waz
beaujest
Squawker
eMOJO
dieselpower
Luxxxy
SJC4wd
11 posters

You have got to be joking ??? Banning 4wdrives at schools/roads etc...

SJC4wd
    SJC4wd
    Locker Loaded
    Locker Loaded

Number of posts : 925
    ROC Rep : 6
    ROCs : 1021
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

You have got to be joking ??? Banning 4wdrives at schools/roads etc... Empty You have got to be joking ??? Banning 4wdrives at schools/roads etc...

Post  SJC4wd 2009-10-06, 23:38

Found this on yahoo news this morning...Cant belive the mentaltiy of some people and there ignorance regading 4wdrives/Awd...The way the Bligh Government is going...read poo: they might table this one, but in reality I can never seeing it happen.as for raisng the rego fees... censored censored

Taken from Yahoo news....

Almost 20,000 Queenslanders have signed a petition calling for a ban on four-wheel drive vehicles in school pick-up zones and shopping areas.

The 19,728-name petition, tabled by the opposition Liberal National Party's (LNP) transport spokeswoman Fiona Simpson in state parliament on Tuesday, also called for higher registration fees for four-wheel drives, unless they are used for industry or on farms.

"The petition ... draws to the attention of the House (of Parliament) their concerns at the negative environmental impacts and effects of the excessive amount of air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions from the use of four-wheel drive vehicles," the petition reads.

"A four-wheel drive vehicle uses almost double the amount of fuel, emits 17 times the amount of air pollution and three times the greenhouse gases of a two-wheel drive vehicle.

"They pose a health risk to residents in city areas as well as making an unacceptable negative impact on the environment in a world facing the threat of climate change and severe oil shortages."

It said four-wheel drives were also a "physical danger to pedestrians and smaller vehicles in the event of collision".

The Queensland government has yet to respond to the petition
    Luxxxy
    Luxxxy
    Rock Crawler
    Rock Crawler

Number of posts : 1852
    ROC Rep : 2
    ROCs : 1784

You have got to be joking ??? Banning 4wdrives at schools/roads etc... Empty Re: You have got to be joking ??? Banning 4wdrives at schools/roads etc...

Post  Luxxxy 2009-10-06, 23:40

Double post. I have moved the other duplicate post to the trash bin.
    Luxxxy
    Luxxxy
    Rock Crawler
    Rock Crawler

Number of posts : 1852
    ROC Rep : 2
    ROCs : 1784

You have got to be joking ??? Banning 4wdrives at schools/roads etc... Empty Re: You have got to be joking ??? Banning 4wdrives at schools/roads etc...

Post  Luxxxy 2009-10-06, 23:47

SJC4wd wrote:"A four-wheel drive vehicle uses almost double the amount of fuel, emits 17 times the amount of air pollution and three times the greenhouse gases of a two-wheel drive vehicle.

Where do they get this info from? Double the amount of fuel? So that means that I get 5L/100km in my subaru, I wish! They need to crawl back under thier rock.
    dieselpower
    dieselpower
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 998
    ROC Rep : 5
    ROCs : 1061

Post  dieselpower 2009-10-06, 23:54

Ahh here we go again. Uninformed idiots making wide sweeping generalisations.

Yes maybe the statements re: greenhouse gasses are correct on older 4wds, but newer ones can (and do)have lower emissions and better economy than cars. They dont seem to be concerned about the number of poorly maintained small cars though, and the amount of harm they're doing to the environment while they're driving around belching oil out the exhaust pipe.

For what it's worth - I believe I contribute less to polution with my 4wd than a lot of other people with small cars, as I drive it only when required and walk or cycle everywhere else. Sure I drive it to the shops but hey, I'm not going to carry a weeks worth of groceries on my pushike! As it is my fuel economy is close to that of a large family car anyway.

As for increasing the rego for 4wds - what a load of tripe. If it increases for 4wds it should also increase for other large capacity engines - falcons, commodores etc.

I'll watch this one with interest. I would think more than 20,000 signatures could be forged to prevent such legislation going ahead - you would think majority rules, but perhaps not.
    eMOJO
    eMOJO
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 2274
    ROC Rep : 11
    ROCs : 2014
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post  eMOJO 2009-10-06, 23:58

Is there a petition we can sign that counters this one? This is just ridiculous... I propose a ban on any dimwitt polly from opening their mouth!
    SJC4wd
    SJC4wd
    Locker Loaded
    Locker Loaded

Post  SJC4wd 2009-10-07, 00:01

eMOJO wrote:Is there a petition we can sign that counters this one? This is just ridiculous... I propose a ban on any dimwitt polly from opening their mouth!

agree Theres got to be a way to counteract these nonsense petitions.... scratch

Last edited by SJC4wd on 2009-10-07, 00:07; edited 1 time in total
    eMOJO
    eMOJO
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 2274
    ROC Rep : 11
    ROCs : 2014

Post  eMOJO 2009-10-07, 00:06

There's plenty of free online petitions... I just wouldn't know where to start putting one together. I guess you would need a media release or something from parliment then take it from there.

I wonder if 4WD Queensland is putting something together?
    dieselpower
    dieselpower
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  dieselpower 2009-10-07, 00:32

The government has a petition site, but normally it's only loaded with a petition when legislation is beginning to be made and there's a decent uprising against it...
    dieselpower
    dieselpower
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  dieselpower 2009-10-07, 00:33

SJC4wd wrote:The 19,728-name petition, tabled by the opposition Liberal National Party's (LNP) transport spokeswoman Fiona Simpson in state parliament on Tuesday, also called for higher registration fees for four-wheel drives, unless they are used for industry or on farms.
    I would reckon the recreational 4wd users would far outnumber those for industry and on farms. I wonder how this would affect it.
    Squawker
    Squawker
    Hill Climber
    Hill Climber

Number of posts : 177
    ROC Rep : 1
    ROCs : 195
    Registration date : 2009-07-13

Post  Squawker 2009-10-07, 00:54

i reckon bligh's probably rubbing her hands together with glee- she can make rego even MORE expensive on some more cars.

my guess is that they can petition all they like- it would be too hard to enforce and besides- what makes a '4wd' anyway from that perspective. maybe instead of banning them they should maybe try to find ways (not just making them cost more) to encourage peopleto buy other cars so it's mainly people who use them trying to buy them. i don't know how but surely it would almost be cheaper to maybe advertise the problems with them as a town only car- safety etc most lay people think 4wds are safer than other cars when it's the other way around (ok except maybe a jumbuck lol! ). even people who think they need them to tow anything- people are astounded we use a falcon to tow when we have the ute but it's significantly better. just my 2cents

imo 4wds do need to start catching up to other cars in terms of safety more than they have- ute's especially are still terrible. this would save many lives and also maybe improve peoples view of them.
    SJC4wd
    SJC4wd
    Locker Loaded
    Locker Loaded

Post  SJC4wd 2009-10-07, 01:40

Squawker wrote:i reckon bligh's probably rubbing her hands together with glee- she can make rego even MORE expensive on some more cars.

my guess is that they can petition all they like- it would be too hard to enforce and besides- what makes a '4wd' anyway from that perspective. maybe instead of banning them they should maybe try to find ways (not just making them cost more) to encourage peopleto buy other cars so it's mainly people who use them trying to buy them. i don't know how but surely it would almost be cheaper to maybe advertise the problems with them as a town only car- safety etc most lay people think 4wds are safer than other cars when it's the other way around (ok except maybe a jumbuck lol! ). even people who think they need them to tow anything- people are astounded we use a falcon to tow when we have the ute but it's significantly better. just my 2cents

imo 4wds do need to start catching up to other cars in terms of safety more than they have- ute's especially are still terrible. this would save many lives and also maybe improve peoples view of them.

Yea, some valid points there....though in recent years utes are catching up with others in relation to safety, but yea still way behind the 8 ball IMO... ...you see more air bags in them nowadays.. not too sure if any utes have Stability Control yet, but the Govt is making this madatory in all cars, will it be placed into utes...should be. Im with you...it would be to hard to enforce 4wds away from shools certain roads...what about all the trucks on the road...that deliver all our goods around the nation.. bet these ppl who voted to get 4wd's banned forget about how there food gets placed on the table ???? a little off the subject but you know what I mean...

cheers

Last edited by SJC4wd on 2009-10-07, 03:59; edited 1 time in total
    beaujest
    beaujest
    Rock Crawler
    Rock Crawler

Number of posts : 1053
    ROC Rep : 4
    ROCs : 1008
    Registration date : 2009-02-21

Post  beaujest 2009-10-07, 02:38

Would be very interesting to see any statistical data to support there allegations. I don't know what Ford would say about their Territory, and how the 2wd and AWD can perform so vastly different.

When you look at it rationally older vehicles are more prone to being less green friendly then newer vehicles, but that is the same across the board, 4wd or not. When you look at the regulations with the new diesel motors and the standard they have to meet, the same can not be said, they are far more fuel efficent then a petrol can ever dream off.

It looks like the soccer Mums could be in trouble but.

As for all the safety gadgets on a vehicle, well thats about all they are. Gadgets. If you have every had to use them you will know how dangerous they are, apart from maybe airbags. You can all the latest ESC gadgets in a vehicle, but it wont stop the cause of 99% of all accidents, the person behind the wheel.

Just look at the last Long Weekend we just had, record numbers of accidents. The new modern vehicles have some of the gadgets so we should be the safest ever, but hasn't worked, there is still that idiot factor in the equation which can not be removed, the driver.
    waz
    waz
    Mud muncher
    Mud muncher

Number of posts : 30
    ROC Rep : 0
    ROCs : 28
    Registration date : 2009-08-11

Post  waz 2009-10-07, 03:25

I contacted Fiona Simpson MP and have received a very nice response.

If I may paraphase;

It would appear that the media may have sensationalised these events. Everyone has a right to put together a petition and seek representation to have it tabled in parliament. It does not mean the MP tabling the petition supports the views of the constituents asking to be represented.

Regards
    W
    dieselpower
    dieselpower
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  dieselpower 2009-10-07, 03:27

Waz - does this mean that she doesn't agree and is only tabling it because she has to?

I would be interested to see/hear more about what she said...
    waz
    waz
    Mud muncher
    Mud muncher

Post  waz 2009-10-07, 03:41

dieselpower wrote:Waz - does this mean that she doesn't agree and is only tabling it because she has to?

Thank you for contacting my office regarding the news reports about a petition I tabled in the Parliament on behalf of a constituent regarding their views on four-wheel drives being banned in certain areas and the way registration is assessed.
    Unfortunately it has been wrongly reported.

I was as surprised as you were when I heard the radio and saw the newspaper reports as I have not commented upon the principle petitioner’s views expressed in his petition, let alone endorsed these views.

MPs routinely table petitions written by constituents who are presenting contentious points of debate which are not necessarily held by the MPs. I have always believed it was a citizen's right to have petitions tabled.

I do not support bans upon four-wheel drives nor do I endorse these proposals regarding registration.

Yours sincerely
    Fiona Simpson
    dieselpower
    dieselpower
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  dieselpower 2009-10-07, 03:54

Thanks Waz ok
    SJC4wd
    SJC4wd
    Locker Loaded
    Locker Loaded

Post  SJC4wd 2009-10-07, 04:03

waz wrote:
    dieselpower wrote:Waz - does this mean that she doesn't agree and is only tabling it because she has to?

Thank you for contacting my office regarding the news reports about a petition I tabled in the Parliament on behalf of a constituent regarding their views on four-wheel drives being banned in certain areas and the way registration is assessed.
    Unfortunately it has been wrongly reported.

I was as surprised as you were when I heard the radio and saw the newspaper reports as I have not commented upon the principle petitioner’s views expressed in his petition, let alone endorsed these views.

MPs routinely table petitions written by constituents who are presenting contentious points of debate which are not necessarily held by the MPs. I have always believed it was a citizen's right to have petitions tabled.

I do not support bans upon four-wheel drives nor do I endorse these proposals regarding registration.

Yours sincerely
    Fiona Simpson

Very, very interesting... thanks for posting her comments. Waz !
    Stampy
    Stampy
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 2035
    ROC Rep : 10
    ROCs : 2027

Post  Stampy 2009-10-07, 06:21

And she has just issued a statement via 'Leters to the Editor' as well.
    It seems she wants to set the record straight on what she did or didn't do, very quickly.

http://www.fionasimpson.com.au/Pages/Article.aspx?ID=590

4-wheel drive petition correction

Wednesday, 7 October 2009

Letter to the Editor

Dear Sir

I need to correct your story (SCD 7.10.09) which is completely wrongly reported. I have not called for higher registration for four wheel drives. Nor do I support the banning of 4-wheel drives. I had not even made a comment upon Mr Barry Craft's petition which I tabled in State Parliament. MPs routinely table petitions for constituents which present contentious points of debate which are not necessarily held by the MPs. I have always believed it is a citizen's right to have petitions tabled.

Yours sincerely

Fiona Simpson MP

Shadow Minister for Transport and Main Roads

Member for Maroochydore

Maybe we could get Double-Diffa to go around and have a word to this Barry Craft!
    Seems like the issue started around Maroochydore where Fiona is the sitting MP.

Watch the news tonight though. They still make a beat-up out of it.

Last edited by Stampy on 2009-10-07, 06:40; edited 1 time in total
    SJC4wd
    SJC4wd
    Locker Loaded
    Locker Loaded

Post  SJC4wd 2009-10-07, 06:33

Stampy wrote:And she has just issued a statement via 'Leters to the Editor' as well.
    It seems she wants to set the record straight on what she did or didn't do, very quickly.

http://www.fionasimpson.com.au/Pages/Article.aspx?ID=590

Maybe we could get Double-Diffa to go around and have a word to this Barry Craft!
    Seems like the issue started around Maroochydore where Fiona is the sitting MP.

Watch the news tonight though. They still make a beat-up out of it.

Yea, Paul your right... Im sure they (News) will take it for all its worth....................and thats nothing! Doh!
    squeeker
    squeeker
    Locker Loaded
    Locker Loaded

Number of posts : 611
    ROCs : 601

Post  squeeker 2009-10-07, 06:49

I loved the one a few years ago where a mother ran down a kid at a school, she avioded jail time by gaining sympathy by launching a anti-4wd campain, claiming that it wasn't her fault but the fault of the big bad forby she was driving.
    Stampy
    Stampy
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  Stampy 2009-10-07, 07:06

Have a look here at some of the ridiculous petitions people submit to Qld State Government!
    These are the current lot doing the rounds. (There is actually a few sensible ones in there!)

http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/view/EPetitions_qld/CurrentEPetitions.aspx?LIndex=1

There's even a petition to legalise 'domesticated pet rabbits' for crying out loud !
    Stampy
    Stampy
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  Stampy 2009-10-07, 07:12

If anyone feels like writing to Barry Craft with some facts here's a contact address for him:

Barry Craft
    C/- 139 Duringan Street
    CURRUMBIN QLD 4223

Now while I wouldn't suggest we all do this, it does highlight just how easy someone can be found. Scary if there's anyone out there who really wanted to overeact to this petition.

Below is the entire content of his petition. Flimsy at best!

TO: The Honourable the Speaker and Members of the Legislative Assembly of Queensland

The petition of the citizens and residents of the State of Queensland draws to the attention of the House their concerns at the negative environmental impacts and effects of the excessive amount of air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions from the use of four-wheel drive vehicles. A four-wheel drive vehicle uses almost double the amount of fuel, emits 17 times the amount of air pollution and three times the greenhouse gases of a two-wheel drive vehicle. They pose a health risk to residents in city areas as well as making an unacceptable negative impact on the environment in a world facing the threat of climate change and severe oil shortages. These vehicles are also a physical danger to pedestrians and smaller vehicles in the event of collision.

Your petitioners therefore request that the House undertakes:

• charges incorporated into vehicle registration based on a pollution rating and the weight of the vehicles (essential uses and farm vehicles could be exempt)
    • banning of four-wheel drive vehicles from school pick up zones and intercity/shopping areas.

Last edited by Stampy on 2009-10-07, 07:15; edited 1 time in total
    Piglet Hilux
    Piglet Hilux
    Trail Trekker
    Trail Trekker

Number of posts : 79
    ROC Rep : 1
    ROCs : 92
    Registration date : 2009-08-07

Post  Piglet Hilux 2009-10-07, 07:13

Stampy wrote:Have a look here at some of the ridiculous petitions people submit to Qld State Government!
    These are the current lot doing the rounds. (There is actually a few sensible ones in there!)

http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/view/EPetitions_qld/CurrentEPetitions.aspx?LIndex=1

There's even a petition to legalise 'domesticated pet rabbits' for crying out loud !

Oh Come on , wouldn't every family want a cute and fluffy rabbit

--- to go feral, breed like -- well like rabbits and destroy our agricultural and farming community.
    Maybe they could take that petition and see the response from our southern neighbors where this cute and cuddly roams free...
    waz
    waz
    Mud muncher
    Mud muncher

Post  waz 2009-10-07, 09:35

The 70000 signatures against the rego increase worked a treat....

W
    dieselpower
    dieselpower
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  dieselpower 2009-10-07, 11:32

The rego increase petition was only posted AFTER the legislation had been passed if I recall correctly. Very handy.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-05-19, 08:58