4ROCs Offroad

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
*NEWS FLASH*  ::  New info about the Christmas Party has been added. Please RSVP ASAP!
*NEWS FLASH*  :: Not long now.

4 posters

Australia - America, Importing - Exporting, & Exchange Rates : A Philosophisation

Stampy
    Stampy
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 2035
    ROC Rep : 10
    ROCs : 2027
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Australia - America, Importing - Exporting, & Exchange Rates : A Philosophisation Empty Australia - America, Importing - Exporting, & Exchange Rates : A Philosophisation

Post  Stampy 2009-10-29, 10:08

There's been a bit of discussion about this in the "What's on Ebay At The Moment" topic so I thought it may be worth it's own discussion.

As we know the dollar is very strong at present, possibly the strongest it has been since the historic decision to deregulate our financial markets and float the dollar in 1983.

I wonder though how long the prices in the US will stay favourable. In general US prices always seem relatively cheap (cheaper than comparitive Australian pricing) because of the size of their economy and population base. The number of offroad shops and suppliers is staggering compared to Australia but Australia does export some top shelf items that the Yanks love.

Their advantage has been while our dollar has been low they have been able to import on very favourable terms.
    With our dollar almost at parity will purchasing from the US still be the cheaper alternative it is at present? Will their export prices start to rise because of their now dearer import costs?

The ebay store in question had air lockers selling for around US$820 plus shipping. They also had Richmond 'Lock Right' Lockers selling for US$399 I think? I have just found another US store who are selling the same Toyota 'Lock Right' Lockers for US$252 which seems unbelievable!

It has often been said that Australian retailers are too greedy or that products here pass through too many sets of hands, thus adding more 'margin' each step of the way and the Australian public, largely apathetic as a whole, sit back and accept it and don't object.

We all know the slogans about buying Australian made, but with every dollar earned so valuable these days, and government at all levels doing their best to make it even harder for us to survive with a new tax seemingly every week, are we a bit silly not to be buying some of our products from overseas to try and save a dollar?
    eMOJO
    eMOJO
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 2274
    ROC Rep : 11
    ROCs : 2014

Australia - America, Importing - Exporting, & Exchange Rates : A Philosophisation Empty Re: Australia - America, Importing - Exporting, & Exchange Rates : A Philosophisation

Post  eMOJO 2009-10-29, 10:44

Maybe buying in bulk would be even better... I know I can get 1 cubic meter of container for AUD$300 and that's about 27 complete air lockers which works out at AUD$11 each to ship! Would still need to organise freight to the container though.
    Stampy
    Stampy
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 2035
    ROC Rep : 10
    ROCs : 2027

Australia - America, Importing - Exporting, & Exchange Rates : A Philosophisation Empty Re: Australia - America, Importing - Exporting, & Exchange Rates : A Philosophisation

Post  Stampy 2009-10-29, 10:52

You might be on to something there E. I'd like to get some of those Richmond LockRights (for resale) into the country at $252 each ok
    Mal
    Mal
    Hill Climber
    Hill Climber

Number of posts : 162
    ROC Rep : 3
    ROCs : 141
    Registration date : 2009-02-21

Post  Mal 2009-10-29, 11:28

Don't forget that if you buy in bulk it will be considered a commercial purchase and you'll get stung with further taxes for that reason. With the dollar at current level you'd probably still win though.

GST, duty and whatever else applies if the total runs to more than $1000AUD.

I always try and keep my purchase under $1k for that reason. I've bought parts out of the US a few times now.

I know that at one stage a lot of US companies wouldn't deal with international orders but would refer you to their Australian agent. Calmini were doing that I think. I always deal with US-based resellers anyway, not the original manufacturer thus avoiding that issue.

I wouldn't say Aus retailes are too greedy, just victims of being in a smaller market with probably higher operating costs. Some are greedy no doubt, and many will continue to charge what the market will accept as reasonable.
    RED
    RED
    Locker Loaded
    Locker Loaded

Number of posts : 689
    ROC Rep : 3
    ROCs : 674
    Registration date : 2009-02-27

Post  RED 2009-10-29, 11:36

also has a lot to do with the cost of living/wages etc, when I was working closely with a bunch of "yanks" there wage wasn't very favourable when compared to ours, look at some of the house prices over there (before the credit crunch)
    just my 2cents

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-05-19, 11:13