4ROCs Offroad

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
*NEWS FLASH*  ::  New info about the Christmas Party has been added. Please RSVP ASAP!
*NEWS FLASH*  :: Not long now.

+6
Hmm
dieselpower
'98Pudge
phillbie
Stampy
RED
10 posters

Camper trailer and the Cape

RED
    RED
    Locker Loaded
    Locker Loaded

Number of posts : 689
    ROC Rep : 3
    ROCs : 674
    Registration date : 2009-02-27

Camper trailer and the Cape Empty Camper trailer and the Cape

Post  RED 2009-11-01, 03:05

Question
    Is taking a camper trailer up the cape a viable option?
    reason I ask is with the possible up coming trip to the cape, what are peoples thoughts/opinions on tackling the cape with a trailer in tow

cheers

Shaun
    Stampy
    Stampy
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 2035
    ROC Rep : 10
    ROCs : 2027
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Camper trailer and the Cape Empty Re: Camper trailer and the Cape

Post  Stampy 2009-11-01, 04:00

Apart from a bit more fuel usage and possible repairs/maintenance along the way it shouldn't be a problem Shaun.
    If the Gall Brothers from Kedron Caravans in Brissy can tow a full size van, a camper should be a walk in the park wink
    phillbie
    phillbie
    Mud muncher
    Mud muncher

Number of posts : 10
    ROC Rep : 0
    ROCs : 10
    Registration date : 2009-09-16

Post  phillbie 2009-11-01, 04:48

I guess it also comes down to what tracks you take and which ones you dont. I have heard The development road is easy as, but the OTL can be tricky at times and then some of the others are even more so.

From what i have read and researched OTL can be done as long as you pick your lines and have a winch or two in the crew as well, and if this trip goes ahead no doubt there will be plenty around to lend a hand.

I am in a similar delema and i think when i do finally get to go, if the family comes too we will be towing. In saying that though my folks towed a camper across the simpson and all through w.a. and back, but they both said they were glad they didnt tow when they went up the cape. I guess it comes down to what you prefer, or in my case, what ever it will take the missus to consider.
    '98Pudge
    '98Pudge
    Trail Trekker
    Trail Trekker

Number of posts : 63
    ROC Rep : 0
    ROCs : 59
    Registration date : 2009-03-08

Post  '98Pudge 2009-11-01, 05:03

Wouldn't worry me.
    In June this year, another group I'm associated with, all very good friends(x10), took their campertrailers and 4bys to the Cape and back, the only headache was a broken shock absorber on a L/Cruiser 200series.
    The only surface that would worry me, would be gibber rock country, like the Stoney desert.
    But it's all comes down to vehicle maintence and driving style.
    You'll be fine, and like they say, GET OUT THERE!
    RED
    RED
    Locker Loaded
    Locker Loaded

Number of posts : 689
    ROC Rep : 3
    ROCs : 674
    Registration date : 2009-02-27

Post  RED 2009-11-01, 08:03

cheers guys
    the main reason for asking is that with 3 kids and the wife, real estate in the vehicle will be at a premium
    dieselpower
    dieselpower
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 998
    ROC Rep : 5
    ROCs : 1061
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post  dieselpower 2009-11-01, 08:34

Hey Shaun -

As others have said, will depend on tracks taken and driving style. There's not really many other options with wife and 3 kids though. If there were two of you I'd suggest a roof top tent, but 5 up there would be interesting to say the least. We'll see what becomes of our planning, but I reckon with a good trailer and enough common sense you shouldn't have too many problems. Plenty of people have done it!
    Hmm
    Hmm
    Mud Chucker
    Mud Chucker

Number of posts : 268
    ROC Rep : 1
    ROCs : 278
    Registration date : 2009-06-29

Post  Hmm 2009-11-01, 09:59

You have an extremely capable truck Shaun. (and you know how to drive it)I'd think that as long as you make a good choice when you get a trailer you will have no trouble at all. 2cents
    navara dx
    navara dx
    Mud muncher
    Mud muncher

Number of posts : 34
    ROCs : 35
    Registration date : 2009-05-03

Post  navara dx 2009-11-01, 10:59

We are considering taking a Camper Trailer to the Cape next year. I think I would agree with all the comments so far. Our trailer is a off raod built trailer. Vist http://www.robustcampers.com/ When we took delivery of it I asked the question, and was told that a friend of theirs had just returned from the cape with a Robust Camper. No worries. I am told that the company had cut back on their production, not because of demand, but obtaining skilled workers.
    Deadly GU
    Deadly GU
    Locker Loaded
    Locker Loaded

Number of posts : 650
    ROC Rep : 2
    ROCs : 670
    Registration date : 2009-05-28

Post  Deadly GU 2009-11-01, 12:59

Seen plenty of them up there last year....and that was on the OTL as well. As said, pick your lines, use common sense, shouldn't be a drama. But above all else, do your preperations to make sure it will handle the Cape ok
    Squawker
    Squawker
    Hill Climber
    Hill Climber

Number of posts : 177
    ROCs : 195
    Registration date : 2009-07-13

Post  Squawker 2009-11-01, 13:16

great thread ok

we're now re-thinking our options after driving a load of stuff down to the gold coast today- heap of light but bulky stuff in the tray and float, upside down table on the roof. on the way home we took nearly an hour less, did a minimum of 90 most of the way and used half the fuel; with the float still on but nothing up top. this rules out our idea of a roof top tent as aside from being so slow, the fuel will be a problem.

so now we're trying to work out how to get enough stuff for long distance travel for 3 without anything on the roof. we're even considering taking the roof racks and canopy off to see if the roof racks make much difference.

don't know how we would get a camper trailer, but we can figure that out later grimace

and to my lovely in-laws, yes i know we pick on camper-trailers a lot but maybe our only option hiding
    Deadly GU
    Deadly GU
    Locker Loaded
    Locker Loaded

Number of posts : 650
    ROC Rep : 2
    ROCs : 670
    Registration date : 2009-05-28

Post  Deadly GU 2009-11-01, 13:20

Taking the roof racks off will make a difference, but I don't think taking tha canopy off will make difference thinking
    Squawker
    Squawker
    Hill Climber
    Hill Climber

Number of posts : 177
    ROCs : 195
    Registration date : 2009-07-13

Post  Squawker 2009-11-01, 13:32

no but our roof racks are full commercial bars mounted by about 1.5" square tubing through the roof of the canopy bolted to the floor of the tub- so it's pretty much for the bars to come off, off goes the canopy. that's why they're still on there- if it were easy they would've been removed and stored by now. on the upside, i imagine they take a huge amount of weight and aren't easy to flog.....

good old ex-telstra cars- certain mods they don't muck about with. shame the canopy is off an older ute, and the fact they just cut the live wire for the orange flashy and left it lying under the vinyl for the floor.
    dieselpower
    dieselpower
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 998
    ROC Rep : 5
    ROCs : 1061
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post  dieselpower 2009-11-01, 22:53

Squawker wrote:
    don't know how we would get a camper trailer, but we can figure that out later grimace
    Camper trailers can be hired so that's always an option to keep in the back of your mind.
    eMOJO
    eMOJO
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 2274
    ROC Rep : 11
    ROCs : 2014
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post  eMOJO 2009-11-01, 23:47

There is a company in Bris that hire the Trackabout campers and they hire them out to ppl going to the cape all the time

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content